Thursday, June 7, 2012

Finding Your Happy Place: Part 7

Practice Compassion

I recently discovered there are some people that I genuinely cannot stand. They get under my skin, push my buttons, and all the other silly phrases people use to describe relational stress. However, upon realizing this, I have also realized that these people give me an excellent opportuinity to challenge myself to PRACTICE compassion.


To practice as defined by Webster is "to carry out; to apply; to do or perform often, customarily or habitually; to be professionally engaged in, as is a doctor; to perform or work at repeatedly so as to become proficient." Likewise compassion is, "sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it." That is, I must deliberately work to be kind and caring towards them over and over.


I have found that the more I practice this compassion towards these people with whom I have struggled to get along, the more I am able to appreciate them and the less I am caused stress by there presence.

Practice compassion for the people you dislike, you might make a few new friends because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment